Monday, February 28, 2011

Lemon Love Fest

Lemon Coconut Scones

Yes, that's right...lemon in the middle of a cold front! Well, when your neighbor brings you homemade lemon curd, how could you not go into a lemon frenzy! I suppose when you absolutely love the flavor of lemon, it's a bit harder to resist! So, as my children lay on the couch all weekend with the yuckies, I went to town imagining all the yummy things I could do with lemon. I discovered I could top a sour cream/cream cheese pie with lemon curd and toasted coconut. I could spread it on toast. I could mix fresh squeezed lemon juice, orange juice, honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper to marinate chicken...oh wait, there's not lemon curd in that, but it was tasty! Needless to say, the winner of the weekend were these delicious lemon coconut scones drizzled with a lemon icing and paired with a splash of lemon curd. YUM!

Scones

2 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup coconut

1/2 cup butter

1 tblas lemon zest (I used one lemon)

1/2 lemon yogurt

1/2 cup water

Combine dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add coconut and process a few seconds. Add cold butter cut into chunks and process just long enough to resemble coarse meal. Combine yogurt, water, and zest in a separate bowl, then gradually add to butter mixture. I found the dough to be a little too wet, so I added more flour. You may want to add less of the yogurt mixture. As dough comes together, scoop out onto a baking mat or wax paper that is lightly covered with flour. Pat into a disk about 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick and cut into desired shape and size.

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool.

Lemon Icing

Juice of one lemon (as in the one you zested)

Enough powdered sugar to reach desired consistency

Drizzle onto cooled scones and let dry.

Feel free to enjoy these delicious scones as is, or cut in half and spread on some lemon curd that your lovely neighbor shared with you! Either way, they will hit the spot on any given morning, afternoon, or evening :-)



http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com/category/link-up-the-theme-is/

No comments: