Monday, December 20, 2010

Cranberry Coconut Macaroons

So much for my boycott!
After I suckered myself into sugar cookies, I decided I couldn't let the season pass without my traditional attempt at a new cookie recipe. So, here it is...not only does it taste festive and delicious, it's also Gluten free. No, I don't have issues with gluten, but enough of my friends and family do, so anytime I can share a recipe that is friendly for them, I try to do it. I came up with this idea after flipping through my newest cookie recipe book, and thought "Hey, wouldn't dried cherries or cranberries taste good in these? And then chocolate drizzled over the top?" Of course it would...
Cranberry Coconut Macaroons
3 cups flaked, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
Mix together all ingredients except chocolate. Spoon onto parchment paper and bake at 325 for about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Melt chocolate and drizzle over cooled macaroons.

I don't think it could get much easier than this! I always thought you had to whip the egg whites for macaroons, but apparently you don't!
Enoy! (And thanks Kelli for the great picture!)

No comments: