Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

I'm always looking for different ways to make the same dish! I love lasagna, and I love mexican food, so of course, combining the two made sense. I wanted to have my own recipe though, so I looked at a bunch of different ones, took the parts that I liked best, and came up with this version.
3 lbs ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 sm. can tomato paste
1/3 c. taco seasoning
Additional cumin, chili powder, and garlic salt to taste
1 cup sour cream
grated cheddar cheese
1/2 box of lasagna noodles (4 noodles for each pan)
Cook the noodles until just al dente. Brown the ground beef with onions, drain; mix in tomotoes, tomato paste, seasonings, and sour cream. Spray an 8 in. baking dish with non-stick spray and partially cover with meat sauce. Add lasagna noodles, then meat sauce, then cheddar cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. I cut the noodles to fit, so each layer only needed 2 noodles. Bake at 375 for appx. 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly brown. From this recipe, I was able to put together two 8 x 8 pans of lasagna, which meant I could share with my sister, or put one in the freezer!
It was quite tasty, and I think we all enjoyed it. In the past I've used corn tortillas, but wanted to try something different this time.
Variations:
  • Add cayenne pepper or hot sauce for more kick
  • Add a layer of beans or corn and olives
  • Use Monterey or Colby Jack cheese
  • Layer in cottage cheese for a creamier layer

No comments: